174 killed, several injured after fans clash at football match in Indonesia

At least 174 people died at an Indonesian football stadium when thousands of angry home fans invaded the pitch (twitter)

Kolkata: Fans and supporters of Javanese club Arema agitated into riot as they lost to Persebaya in Malang Regency, East Java. At least 173 people have been killed leaving 180 with injuries when local police have to fire tear gas that triggered the stampede as supporters from the losing team invaded the field.

The deadliest football incident in world happened on Saturday night (1st October, 2022) in the city of Malangm. To get the supporters to go off to the stands in which two officers were killed, the police were necessitated to resort to using tear gas shells. According to the police said many of the victims were trampled or choked to death. Police chief said many people were crushed and suffocated when they ran to one exit.

“It had gotten anarchic. They started attacking officers, they damaged cars,” Nico told Reuters, adding that the crush occurred when fans fled for an exit gate.

Five-year-old child was one of the victims, hospital director told local television. Images taken during the stampede showed a lot of tear gas being used and people scaling fences. Injured fans were also observed being carried through the crowd by people.

Thousands of Arema supporters reportedly rushed onto the pitch after their team lost, which sparked fighting. According to East Java police commander Nico Afinta, Arema supporters had entered the field, forcing police to use tear gas, which caused a rush and asphyxia. After conflicts between supporters and police on Saturday, Indonesian President Joko Widodo ordered a safety assessment of the nation’s football tournaments on Sunday.

Indonesia’s sports minister Zainudin Amali told Reuters that authorities would re-evaluate safety at football matches and consider not allowing spectators after stampede killed 127 people. “The Indonesian top league BRI Liga 1 has suspended games for a week following the match that Persebaya won 3-2 and an investigation had been launched,” Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) said in a statement.

Expressing regret over the incident, Indonesia’s football association (PSSI) said a team has left for Malang to start an investigation into what happened after the game.

“PSSI regrets the actions of Arema supporters at the Kanjuruhan Stadium. We are sorry and apologize to the families of the victims and all parties for the incident. For that PSSI immediately formed an investigation team and immediately left for Malang,” the statement read.

The human rights commission of Indonesia will now look into local security, including the deployment of tear gas.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here