West Indies-Australia second ODI postponed after positive COVID-19 case

0

Barbados: The second ODI in the ongoing series between West Indies and Australia had to be postponed minutes before the start on Thursday after reports of a positive COVID-19 test emerged. In fact the toss had already taken place with sides announcing their playing XIs when the situation began to unfold.

As per sources, both the sides, match officials and broadcast staff were brought back to the hotel which is being used as a bio-secure bubble where all the personnel had to undergo COVID-19 tests and remain in isolation until they receive their results, after which a decision over the second game will be made.

“The second CG Insurance ODI between West Indies and Australia has been postponed due to a positive COVID-19 test result from a non-playing member of the West Indies staff,” Cricket West Indies said in its statement said.

“This decision was taken after the toss at Kensington Oval once the result was known. The established COVID-19 protocols stipulate that all members of both teams and match officials will return immediately to the team hotel and will be re-tested later today. They will remain in isolation in their hotel rooms until their PCR-Test results are returned. A decision on when the match will be replayed will be made at a later date once all the test results are confirmed,” it further stated.

According Johnny Grave, the CEO of Cricket West Indies, the results from the tests is likely to be known by Friday morning (local). The postponement of the match was a cruel blow for Australian quick Riley Meredith, who was named to make his debut at the toss.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here