Mumbai: Chinese-based smartphone brand VIVO has pulled out from the 13th edition of the IPL on Tuesday (August 4). They will no longer be serving as the title sponsor for IPL after a backlash on social media platforms. VIVO had paid an approximate amount of ₹2,199 crores in 2018 in a five-year contract with the BCCI.
On Sunday (August 2) the BCCI announced that all sponsors had been retained. The decision comes after the Chinese and Indian troops had few face-offs in the Ladakh region of Line of Actual Control.
Speaking to PTI, an IPL Governing Council member said that all other sponsors of previous year had been retained for IPL 2020 which will be played from September 19 to November 10 in the UAE. “All I can say is that all our sponsors are with us. Hopefully you can read between the lines,” he said. “The Indian Premier League Governing Council (IPL GC) met today via video-conference to decide on the issues concerning the VIVO IPL 2020 edition.
“Taking note of the prevailing COVID-19 situation in India, the IPL GC decided to stage the tournament in UAE and the matches will be played in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi subject to necessary clearances from the Government of India,” BCCI had said in a press release.