Kolkata : Mohun Bagan Super Giants have officially refused seven players for India’s Unity Cup 2026 in London camp before the FIFA window opens on June 1. The move has disrupted Khalid Jamil’s preparations and revived the club-versus-country dispute over injury cover.
Just days after suffering a heartbreaking ISL title loss to East Bengal, the club has now taken another hardline stance against the AIFF over player welfare and injury protection outside the FIFA international window.
Despite Khalid Jamil announced 28 members Indian Football squad for Unity Cup including teams like Jamaica, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, including seven Mohun Bagan players, the ISL Runners Up made it clear that the players would only be officially released once the FIFA international window begins on June 1.
Speaking about the situation, a Mohun Bagan official explained the club’s concerns around injuries and lack of compensation protection outside FIFA-approved windows.
“Our stand is very clear — players will be released only from the day the FIFA window starts,” the official told PTI.
“We have released the players from our side, but if they travel before that on their own, we will not bear any responsibility if they get injured.”
“The FIFA window starts from June 1. From that date, if a player gets injured, FIFA provides compensation. But if a player suffers an injury before that, there is no protection.”
The seven Mohun Bagan players named in the squad are Liston Colaco, Manvir Singh, Lalengmawia Ralte (Apuia), Sahal Abdul Samad, Anirudh Thapa, Abhishek Singh and goalkeeper Vishal Kaith.
The Indian side will fly to London for preparations on Sunday, and this fresh development, the denial to send the seven impactful players by Mohun Bagan creates problems for Khalid Jamil and India.
This is not the first time Mohun Bagan have taken such a stance against releasing players for national duty outside the FIFA window.
The club has repeatedly cited concerns over injuries and lack of financial protection for players during non-mandatory international periods. The latest dispute once again stems from previous fallouts involving defender Subhasish Bose and winger Ashique Kuruniyan.
“Earlier, in the cases of Subhasish Bose and Ashique Kuruniyan, the federation did not compensate us in any manner,” the Mohun Bagan official said.
Last year, Mohun Bagan and AIFF were involved in a major disagreement after the club claimed Bose suffered a serious adductor and groin injury while on India duty during an AFC Asian Cup qualifier against Bangladesh.
The AIFF rejected that claim and argued Bose had actually suffered the injury during the ISL final for Mohun Bagan itself, accusing the club of failing to properly report the issue and begin rehabilitation in time.
Another such incident occurred during 2023 after Ashique Kuruniyan suffered an ACL injury around the Asian Games period, following which Mohun Bagan became increasingly resistant towards releasing players for non-mandatory national assignments.
Recently, Mohun Bagan refused it’s players release ahead of CAFA Nations Cup 2025 also.
While Mohun Bagan insisted they are not physically stopping players from joining India camp, the club made it clear they will not take responsibility for injuries suffered before the FIFA window officially opens.
“We are not stopping the players. Whether they travel or not is their decision. But if they get injured before June 1, Mohun Bagan will not pay anything,” the official added.
According to FIFA’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players (Annexe 1.1), a player must be released for national duty only a week before the official window.
The official window begins on June 1, two days after the Unity Cup has ended. As a result, clubs can exercise the option not to let their players go.
Khalid Jamil led India are however, now in deep trouble. They’ll fly to London in coming Sunday, and set to take on Jamaica on May 27, while Nigeria face Zimbabwe on May 26. The winners will meet in the final on May 30.
“Talks are still underway. It looks unlikely, but we still have hope,” a source from the AIFF said. “The biggest challenge will be a replacement this late, with visa approval, because the coach was ideally looking at at least 23 members in the squad.”
The sudden refusal to field the seven Mohun Bagan players comes at a crucial stage of preparation, especially considering several of them form the core of India’s regular starting lineup. Even East Bengal centre back Anwar Ali and Jeakson Singh are injured and unlikely to join the camp, adding more troubles for India.
The latest standoff once again exposes the growing friction between Indian clubs and the AIFF regarding player welfare, insurance structures and scheduling outside FIFA-approved windows.







