London: England fast bowler Ollie Robinson was suspended from international cricket on Sunday pending an investigation into discriminatory tweets that he posted from 2012-13.
“England and Sussex bowler Ollie Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following historic tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013,” the ECB said in a statement on Sunday after the end of the first Test.
View this post on Instagram
Robinson, a right-arm fast bowler, who made his Test debut on Day 1 of the first Test between England and New Zealand at the historic Lord’s. Robinson did well on the field. He took four wickets in New Zealand’s first innings of Tom Latham, Ross Taylor, Colin de Grandhomme and Kyle Jamieson. He took a decent catch too. With the bat, in England’s first innings, he scored 42 off 101. Overall an impressive start from the debutant.
While Robinson was busy on the field a 9 year old tweet of ‘racist and sexist’ tweets of him emerged out. The 27 year old also issued an apology for the same, but the ECB has suspended him from international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation following his discriminatory tweets.
💬"I would like to unreservedly apologise to anyone I have offended, my teammates and the game as a whole."💬
ECB will investigate Ollie Robinson's historical racist and sexist tweets under its disciplinary process, as England debutant issues apology.
— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) June 2, 2021
“On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks.” he said in a video posted by Sky star sports cricket.